The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. -Psalm 34:18
It’s not supposed to be this way. In last week’s post, https://this-coffee-life.com/2019/03/30/life-between-the-gardens/, I described the most painful disappointment of my life – the fact that Mom did not receive her healing from cancer. She prayed and meditated on scripture so much for this, and I still don’t understand why it was her time to go. I hope I get the answer to this question some day.
On her last day, we actually had a visitor from the church she had been attending claim it was because our faith was too weak and there was “too much doubt” around Mom. This hurt me and broke my heart in ways I cannot explain. I prayed so hard for Mom, y’all. I did my best to stay positive and to not speak anything negative in her presence or in general regarding her healing. I tried to confess the good things over her. I tried.
I relay this because we’ve all suffered disappointments via people, circumstances, and the outcome of situations. Anyone who tells you differently is sugarcoating. God does not promise us a life without rain, but His word shows He will carry us through the storm until rainbows appear on the horizon.
Here are some words of truth for those “it’s not supposed to be this way times.” I pray these words are helpful to you today and that you are able to move forward into the light.
30 Quotes for Disappointment
1. When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.
2. Do not forget that… there are many kinds of magic, after all.
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus
3. She wanted none of those days to end, and it was always with disappointment that she watched the darkness stride forward.
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
4. If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment.
Henry David Thoreau
5. Years from now, when all the junk they got is broken and long forgotten, you’ll still have your stars.
6. Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
7. Disappointments in love, even betrayals and losses, serve the soul at the very moment they seem in life to be tragedies. The soul is partly in time and partly in eternity. We might remember the part that resides in eternity when we feel despair over the part that is in life.
8. Yes, we are going to suffer, we will have difficult times, and we will experience many disappointments — but all of this is transitory it leaves no permanent mark. And one day we will look back with pride and faith at the journey we have taken.
9. Our deepest wounds surround our greatest gifts.
10. I think people would be happier if they admitted things more often. In a sense we are all prisoners of some memory, or fear, or disappointment – we are all defined by something we can’t change.
Simon Van Booy
11. I saw everything in the world build up and then everything in the world fall down again.
12. But there were worse things than disappointment, and I’d lived through several of them already.
13. I embraced a cloud,
but when I soared
14. The person you hurt the most in this world was the person that brought you into it.
15. To spend my days regretting what I’m not is to rob me of the energy I need to celebrate who I am.
Craig D. Lounsbrough
16. Whenever I experienced some disappointment in my life, it was always laughter that came to my rescue.
17. In that moment of disappointment, pause and remember that GOD has a better plan for you
18. It comes down to ‘fear’ and ‘faith’. ‘Fear’ of what stands in front of me. ‘Faith’ in believing that the resources I possess can handle what stands in front of me. If I stop at the former, I will change nothing. If I embrace the latter, I can change everything.
Craig D. Lounsbrough
19. The biggest disappointments in life come from having expectations that life will be a certain way and then finding out it isn’t.
20. You say you are disappointed with life. But maybe it is life that is disappointed with you.
21. Do not dwell on your loss. Look forward with bright new hopes.
Lailah Gifty Akita
22. Maturity really means: being very unsurprised by, and calm around, pain and disappointment.
Alain de Botton
23. When this world totally fails, the ground for joy remains.
24. God is our hope and strength. And hope never disappoints. (Romans 5:5). We can place our confidence in Him without fear.
25. Reality so often fails when it comes to small, satisfying details, she thought.
26. Find a way to learn something from every disappointment.
27. One of the best gifts you can give to someone, is a wider perspective. It’s also one of the best gifts you can receive. So if you have given someone a wider perspective, don’t feel bad about it (about taking their blindfolds off and having to watch them cringe in the newfound sunlight); I know it’s hard, but you’re doing them a lasting favor. And a wider perspective can be difficult for you yourself to accept, in the beginning (during the time that you squint while the sunlight stings your own eyes), but later you’ll find yourself coming back to it, even if you abandoned it as something worthless; you’ll look for it, one day. Or it will grow on you. Perspective.
C. JoyBell C.
28. Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our soul, it leads to discouragement.
29. Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there’s a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
30. When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.
May God bless you on your journey forward.